Over the past half century, the global community has been debating the mode of economic growth, amid challenges of environmental degradation, energy transition and climate change. India among the several emerging economies, though at crossroads, has chosen a trajectory of sustainable development for ensuring inter-generational equity and inclusiveness in its growth journey. As India is growing economically amid an increased pace of urbanization, the burden on resource utilization and management is also increasing. Two prominent sectors facing significant challenges are energy and urban development, which are bound to increase due to climate change. Addressing these challenges will require trained professionals who can assess the problems, think critically by integrating multiple sectors and create evidence-based solutions. The focus of Department of Sustainable Engineering (DSE) at the TERI SAS is to develop a cadre of professionals having requisite knowledge and skillsets towards addressing the current and envisaged challenges faced by humanity by promoting scientific, technological and policy innovations for strengthening local, regional, and global development agendas.
DSE offers MTech and doctoral programmes in areas of Renewable Energy Engineering & Management (REEM), and Urban Development Management (UDM). The Department is cognizant of the complex environmental, socio-economic, and political challenges that require an integrative approach towards engineering and sustainability. The DSE encourages collaboration with relevant stakeholders including industry, government, academic & research institutions, and multi-lateral organizations to deliver practice-informed research and teaching.
The curriculum of programmes offered by DSE is an eclectic mix of foundational and advanced courses which promotes both critical and creative thinking. The students at DSE are drawn from diverse branches of engineering, science, architecture, and planning which cultivates robust peer learning. The faculty at the DSE has wide experience and expertise across multiple domains, touching upon the two main themes of the Department – renewable energy and urban development.
DSE is committed to provide an intellectually stimulating and culturally diverse environment for:
• a holistic development of students to enable them to reach their fullest potential
• the discovery and application of knowledge in energy, environment, urban development, policy, and governance which promotes national goals on sustainable development
• outreach to community as a service/social commitment for furthering the cause of sustainability
DSE envisions to be a leading voice advocating to embed the sustainability perspective within the discipline of engineering through its multi-disciplinary teaching, cutting-edge research, and advocacy initiatives. It strives to constantly enhance its industry aligned innovative curriculum, and engaging pedagogy to create a cadre of engineering professionals who will be able to contribute and lead towards sustainable development pathways.
• To impart quality education in the domain of sustainable engineering focussing on renewable energy engineering and urban development and management
• To execute inter-disciplinary research which deploys technological options for optimal utilisation of resources and fosters policy advocacy in renewable energy and urban development sectors
• To build and enhance capacity among wider community for achieving national goals on energy security and sustainable urbanization
Dr Sapan Thapar
Dr Sapan Thapar is an Associate Professor in the Department of Energy and Environment at the TERI School of Advanced Studies. He has completed his doctoral research as well as Masters from the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi. Dr Thapar, a certified Energy Manager, has over two decade long experience in the energy sector, with expertise in energy policy, project finance and energy efficiency. He has several research publications to his credit...Know more