PG Diploma (Public Policy and Sustainable Development)
The PG Diploma (Public Policy and Sustainable Development) - programme, offered by the TERI SAS encompasses a comprehensive and well-structured one-year curriculum on public policy formulation, analysis, evaluation, management, and links with development concerns.
Policy decisions by government officials at all levels are required to be increasingly multifaceted especially in the light of economic reforms and the need to ensure that decision-making contributes to sustainability in the development process. Private not-for-profit and for-profit business entities also have a bearing on development-related policy decisions. To respond effectively to these issues, civil servants and those engaged in the non-governmental sectors, need to
• Be trained in the politics and economics of public policy and in sophisticated methods and tools of analysis, and
• Refresh their knowledge of the substantive development issues at hand.
The participants of the MA PPSD programme have the unique opportunity of finishing the course in one year after undertaking the domestic and foreign components, in which case they will be awarded a Postgraduate Diploma in Public Policy and Sustainable Development. The programme is founded on a consolidated and well organised curriculum focusing on multiple angles of public policy making involving formulation, analysis, evaluation and practical implications while incorporating them into the developmental needs of the society.
Program specific Outcome
The PP&SD programme offers a unique opportunity to understand public policy-making across sectors such as energy, environment, natural resources, social security and public finance. It assists the participants in experiential learning through the following factors;
• Identify problems and the scope for policy intervention
• Build up strong analytical capabilities that help to evaluate when policy interventions are needed and also their necessary impacts
• Gain an understanding of the normative basis of choice of policy objectives and trade-off
• Analyse policy constraints, design of public institutions, and choice of policy instruments
• Pragmatic assessment of unintended consequences of various policies
• Facilitate formulation of processes of stakeholder consultations and debates
International Visit/Summer Project
Social Impact Assessment
* Does not include mid and end-semester breaks and evaluation schedules (based on major and minor tests and assignments)
The pedagogical tools will comprise not just classroom lectures but also case studies, field visits, quizzes, term papers, assignments and tutorials, a large number of guest lectures by practitioners and experts, seminars and discussion forums, and role play.