TERI School of Advanced Studies (TERI SAS) provides an opportunity to Ph.D. students to nurture their independent, analytical and critical thinking. It offers a conducive environment to achieve academic excellence and meet the highest global standards. With these objectives, Cente for Post Graduate Legal Studies (CPGLS), TERI SAS offers a PhD under the broad theme of ‘Law and Sustainability’.
Operational aspects of each Ph.D. programme are governed and guided by the provisions laid down in the "TERI School of Advanced Studies Ph.D. Regulations - 2019".
At the end of Ph.D. programme, the students should be able to:
• Have an in-depth understanding and knowledge of the nuances of the problem being researched and the literature surrounding relevant to the topic.
• Explore frontiers of fundamental, applied and interdisciplinary research as decided by the chosen field of study
• Understand and apply scientific methods, tools and techniques to carry out high quality research work
• Independently plan and execute original research with high ethical standards
• Develop suitable communication and interpersonal skills, critical thinking and problem-solving attitude as appropriate for a Ph.D. student
• Law and Sustainable Development
• Infrastructure, Law & Sustainable Development
• Corporations, Law and Sustainable Development
• Natural Resources, Dispute Resolution and Law
• International Trade Law and Sustainable Development
• International Investment Law and Sustainable Development
• Mining, Law & Sustainable Development
Admission will be made based on written tests and interview. A weightage 70% to the written tests and 30% to the performance in interviews shall be given. Written test will have two papers of equal weightage. Paper I will be on ‘Research Methodology’ which will be a common paper for admission in all departments of the University. Paper II will be department/subject specific.
|Syllabus for Research Methodology||Syllabus for Paper II|
Master’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent with at least 55% marks in aggregate or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed.
For any query related to PhD admission you can write to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ph.D. Programme at CPGLS is divided into three stages. These are as follows:
Stage I: Ph.D. Course work
The Ph.D. course work is designed to develop rigorous research and analytical skills among the students. It is intended to equip them with the necessary research and analytical skillsets. The Ph.D. Course work is governed by the ‘TERI School of Advanced Studies Ph.D. Regulations-2019’ (and subsequent amendments) and UGC (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of M.Phil./Ph.D. Degrees) Regulations, 2016 (and subsequent amendments).
Ph.D. Course work structure and requirement
A minimum of 8 credits and a maximum of 16 credits will have to be completed by the Ph.D. students in order to complete their course work. Some courses are mandatory in nature and some are prescribed by the Department Research Committee (DRC)) on the recommendations of the Student Research Committee (SRC). The Ph.D. course work must be completed within the first two semesters of the joining of the programme.
Every Ph.D. student must complete the following mandatory courses
a) Research Methodology – 3 Credits (Credit only course)
b) Research and Publication Ethics - 2 Credit course (Credit or audit course)
c) Quantitative Research Method – minimum 2 Credit course from the list of quantitative methods course as prepared by the respective CRC*
SRC may also prescribe other advanced level courses from the list of courses offered for Masters Programmes after considering the student’s background in relation to the proposed topic of research.
Stage II: Research proposal defense and research work
• Students will be permitted to appear for defending their research proposal only after he/she has completed the Ph.D. course work as decided by the SRC.
• As a part of the research proposal defence, a draft research proposal must be prepared in the prescribed format by the student in consultation with the Supervisor(s).
• The Supervisor will schedule the research proposal defence.
• After a satisfactory defence, students shall submit their final research proposal and related documents to the CRC with due approval from the Supervisor. The final research proposal must be submitted to the CRC within a period of 24 months from the date of registration to the Ph.D. programme.
• During the Ph.D. programme, students shall appear before the SRC at least once in each semester to make a presentation of the progress of their work. This process will continue until thesis submission.
Stage III: Thesis submission
Ph.D. students may submit their thesis, in the prescribed format, at any time provided that they have completed the minimum period of registration and complied with all the necessary requirements as specified in “TERI School of Advanced Studies Ph.D. Regulations-2019” (and subsequent amendments). Prior to the thesis submission, the student shall make a presentation in the CRC. All Ph.D. students must submit their thesis within the stipulated period, failing which their registration will be considered null and void.
List of Available Courses Under Quantitative Method Category
• Environmental Statistics (3 credits)
• Probability and Statistics (4 credits)
• Statistical Methods for Management (3 credits)
• Advanced Statistical Methods for Management (2 credits)
• Multivariate Data Analysis (3 credits)
• Econometrics (4 credits
• Advanced Econometrics (4 credits)
• Time Series and Regression Analysis (4 credits)
• Quantitative Analysis for Development Practice (3 credits)
• Spatiotemporal Data Analysis (3 credits)
• Optimization techniques for energy management and planning (3 credits)
• Applied Numerical Methods (3 credits)
• Stochastic Modelling (4 credits)
Ph.D. Programme at CPGLS is aimed at creating new knowledge by enabling individual students to exploit their intellectual potential through carefully conducted and meticulously supervised research. It promotes research that is impactful and state of the art. Ph.D. Programmes prepare students to play an active role in international academia through their contributions in their chosen field of study.
Plot No. 10, Institutional Area, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi - 110 070, India.
Tel. +91 11 71800222 (25 lines).
© Copyright © 2023, TERI SAS, All rights reserved.
Visitors No.: 703560 Since 2023