The PhD programme at the Department of Business Sustainability aims to promote interdisciplinary research and scholarship on sustainability studies pertaining to businesses. It provides an opportunity to scholars to enhance their professional competence and expertise through continuing education and learning demonstrating individual intellectual potential. The entire learning process spanning across diverse issues of sustainability will equip them to learn how to manage and evaluate a scientific research work from its designing to the successful completion of the work. At the same time, this programme also caters to the need of capacity building both in industry and academics. Industry people with experience get the chance of honing their understanding the emerging perspectives in the corporate world. Academic aspirants get the chance to strengthen their knowledge base to meet the increasing demand of good teachers.
At the end of their PhD course, students should be able to:
• Explore newer frontiers of interdisciplinary teaching & research
• Make significant contribution to the corporate world
• Comprehend scientific methods and techniques of doctoral research
• Develop effective collaboration with allied research partners & industries
• Carry out individual research work with wider societal impact
• Integrate ethical values in original scientific research
• Independent planning and implementation of research
• Corporate Social responsibility
• Socially Responsible Businesses
• Sustainability Reporting and Standards
• Strategies for Sustainable Businesses
• Responsible Management Education
• Organizational Behavior, Change Management, leadership
• Sustainable Health Systems
• Building inclusive and Sustainable Supply Chains
• Sustainable Finance
Admission will be made based on written tests and interview. A weightage of 70% to the written tests and 30% to the performance in interviews shall be given. Written test will have two papers of equal weightage. Paper I will be on ‘Research Methodology’ which will be a common paper for admission in all departments of the University. Paper II will be department/subject specific.
Syllabus for Research Methodology
Syllabus for Paper II
Business Sustainability & CSR:
Introduction to Sustainable Development, SDGs, Business Sustainability: Concept and Corporate Practices ,Reporting and Communicating Sustainability, CSR, strategies for sustainable businesses, Ethical and Responsible Business.
Marketing: theory and Concepts, 4P, Product and Brand Management, Consumer Behaviour, Market Research, Integrated marketing communication, Channel of distribution, Online Marketing, Societal Marketing, Business to Business Marketing, Supply Chain Management.
Accounting and Finance:
Introduction to Financial Accounting, Cost Accounting, Management Accounting, Accounting Concepts and Principles, Financial Statement Analysis, Budgeting, Costing and Cost Sheet, Cost Volume Profit Analysis, Target Costing, Life Cycle Costing, Economic Value Added, etc.
General Management, OB & HR:
Forms of Organizations, Functions of a Manager, Managerial Roles and Skills, Organization Culture, Structure, and Development, Change Management, Human Resource Planning and Management
Industry Competition, Porter’s industry analysis, Resource based view of Corporation, Theory of core competency, Types of strategy: strategy Implementation.
Method of Examination for Paper II: The method focusses on assessing candidate’s critical thinking, expression and research abilities to conduct research in an interdisciplinary environment.
Two articles will be provided. The questions will be designed to assess the reading accuracy, analysis and interpretation, language comprehension and expression, background knowledge of the subject, summarization of the major ideas and ability to critique or challenge established ideas.
Minimum cut-off marks for admission is 60% with at least 50% marks in written tests.
For any query related to PhD admission you can write to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
PhD Programme is divided into three stages. These are:
Stage I: Ph.D. Course work
The Ph.D. course work at TERI SAS is designed to develop rigorous research and analytical skills among the students. It is intended to equip them with the necessary research and analytical skill sets. The Ph.D. Course work is governed by the ‘TERI School of Advanced Studies Ph.D. Regulations-2019’ (and subsequent amendments) and UGC (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of M.Phil./Ph.D. Degrees) Regulations, 2016 (and subsequent amendments).
Ph.D. Course work structure and requirement
A minimum of 8 credits and a maximum of 16 credits will have to completed by the Ph.D. students in order to complete their course work. Some courses are mandatory in nature and some are prescribed by the Department Research Committee (DRC)/ Centre Research Committee (CRC) on the recommendations of the Student Research Committee (SRC). The Ph.D. course work must be completed within the first two semesters of joining the programme.
Every Ph.D. student must take the following mandatory courses.
a) Research Methodology – 3 Credits (Credit only course)
b) Research and Publication Ethics - 2 Credits (Credit or audit course)
c) Quantitative Research Method – minimum 2 Credit course from the list of quantitative methods course as prepared by the respective DRC/CRC
There are additional mandatory courses for students registering in some of the departments. Ph.D. students may also opt for ‘Communication Skills’, a non-mandatory course. Other advanced level courses from the list of courses offered for Masters Programmes may also be prescribed by SRC after considering the student’s background in relation to the proposed topic of research.
Stage II: Research proposal defense and research work
• A student will be permitted to appear for defending his/her research proposal only after he/she has completed the Ph.D. course work as decided by the SRC.
• As a part of the research proposal defence, a draft research proposal must be prepared in the prescribed format by the student in consultation with the Supervisor(s).
• The Supervisor will schedule the research proposal defence.
• After a satisfactory defence, the student will submit his/her final research proposal and related documents to the DRC/CRC with due approval from the Supervisor. The final research proposal must be submitted to the DRC/CRC within a period of 24 months from the date of registration to the Ph.D. programme.
• During the Ph.D. programme, the student shall appear before the SRC at least once in each semester to make a presentation of the progress of his/her work. This process will continue until thesis submission
Stage III: Thesis submission
A Ph.D. student may submit his/her thesis, in the prescribed format, at any time provided that he/she has completed the minimum period of registration and complied with all the necessary requirements as specified in “TERI School of Advanced Studies Ph.D. Regulations-2019” (and subsequent amendments). Prior to the thesis submission, the student shall make a presentation in the Department. A Ph.D. student must submit his/her thesis within the stipulated period, failing which his/her registration will be considered null and void.
University Wide List of Available Courses Under Quantitative Method Category
• Environmental Statistics (3 credits)
• Probability and Statistics (4 credits)
• Statistical Methods for Management (3 credits)
• Advanced Statistical Methods for Management (2 credits)
• Multivariate Data Analysis (3 credits)
• Econometrics (4 credits)
• Advanced Econometrics (4 credits)
• Time Series and Regression Analysis (4 credits)
• Quantitative Analysis for Development Practice (3 credits)
• Spatiotemporal Data Analysis (3 credits)
The Programme fosters knowledge creation by enabling one’s intellectual skills through innovative research work and contribute to the discourse on sustainability issues in business activities. It advances impactful and cutting-edge interdisciplinary research demonstrating with opportunities for broader research excellence framework. The basic objective is to prepare students to play a remarkable role in the world academic circle and to develop significant unique contributions to their selected area of research.
Plot No. 10, Institutional Area, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi - 110 070, India.
Tel. +91 11 71800222 (25 lines).
© Copyright © 2020, TERI SAS, All rights reserved.