The PhD programme at the Department of Policy and Management Studies aims to promote interdisciplinary research and scholarship on sustainability studies pertaining to businesses. It provides an opportunity to scholars to enhance their professional competence and expertise through continuing education and learning demonstrating individual intellectual potential. The entire learning process spanning across diverse issues of sustainability will equip them to learn how to manage and evaluate a scientific research work from its designing to the successful completion of the work. At the same time, this programme also caters to the need of capacity building both in industry and academics. Industry people with experience get the chance of honing their understanding the emerging perspectives in the corporate world. Academic aspirants get the chance to strengthen their knowledge base to meet the increasing demand of good teachers.
At the end of Ph.D. programme, the students should be able to:
• Explore newer frontiers of interdisciplinary teaching & research
• Make significant contribution to the corporate world
• Comprehend scientific methods and techniques of doctoral research
• Develop effective collaboration with allied research partners & industries
• Carry out individual research work with wider societal impact
• Integrate ethical values in original scientific research
• Independent planning and implementation of research
• Corporate Social responsibility
• Socially Responsible Businesses
• Sustainability Reporting and Standards
• Strategies for Sustainable Businesses
• Responsible Management Education
• Organizational Behavior, Change Management, leadership
• Sustainable Health Systems
• Building inclusive and Sustainable Supply Chains
• Sustainable Finance
Admission will be made based on written tests and interview. A weightage of 70% to the written tests and 30% to the performance in interviews shall be given. Written test will have two papers of equal weightage. Paper I will be on ‘Research Methodology’ which will be a common paper for admission in all departments of the University. Paper II will be department/subject specific.
|Syllabus for Research Methodology||Syllabus for Paper II|
Master’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent with at least 55% marks in aggregate or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed.
PhD Programme is divided into three stages. These are:
Stage I: Ph.D. Course work
The Ph.D. course work at TERI SAS is designed to develop rigorous research and analytical skills among the students. It is intended to equip them with the necessary research and analytical skill sets. The Ph.D. Course work is governed by the ‘TERI School of Advanced Studies Ph.D. Regulations-2019’ (and subsequent amendments) and UGC (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of M.Phil./Ph.D. Degrees) Regulations, 2016 (and subsequent amendments).
Ph.D. Course work structure and requirement
A minimum of 8 credits and a maximum of 16 credits will have to completed by the Ph.D. students in order to complete their course work. Some courses are mandatory in nature and some are prescribed by the Department Research Committee (DRC)/ Centre Research Committee (CRC) on the recommendations of the Student Research Committee (SRC). The Ph.D. course work must be completed within the first two semesters of joining the programme.
Every Ph.D. student must take the following mandatory courses.
a) Research Methodology – 3 Credits (Credit only course)
b) Research and Publication Ethics - 2 Credits (Credit or audit course)
c) Quantitative Research Method – minimum 2 Credit course from the list of quantitative methods course as prepared by the respective DRC/CRC
There are additional mandatory courses for students registering in some of the departments. Ph.D. students may also opt for ‘Communication Skills’, a non-mandatory course. Other advanced level courses from the list of courses offered for Masters Programmes may also be prescribed by SRC after considering the student’s background in relation to the proposed topic of research.
Stage II: Research proposal defense and research work
• A student will be permitted to appear for defending his/her research proposal only after he/she has completed the Ph.D. course work as decided by the SRC.
• As a part of the research proposal defence, a draft research proposal must be prepared in the prescribed format by the student in consultation with the Supervisor(s).
• The Supervisor will schedule the research proposal defence.
• After a satisfactory defence, the student will submit his/her final research proposal and related documents to the DRC/CRC with due approval from the Supervisor. The final research proposal must be submitted to the DRC/CRC within a period of 24 months from the date of registration to the Ph.D. programme.
• During the Ph.D. programme, the student shall appear before the SRC at least once in each semester to make a presentation of the progress of his/her work. This process will continue until thesis submission
Stage III: Thesis submission
A Ph.D. student may submit his/her thesis, in the prescribed format, at any time provided that he/she has completed the minimum period of registration and complied with all the necessary requirements as specified in “TERI School of Advanced Studies Ph.D. Regulations-2019” (and subsequent amendments). Prior to the thesis submission, the student shall make a presentation in the Department. A Ph.D. student must submit his/her thesis within the stipulated period, failing which his/her registration will be considered null and void.
|Course Code||Course Title||Number of Credits|
|NRE 115||Environmental Statistics||3|
|MPE 115||Probability and Statistics||4|
|BSI 175||Statistical Methods for Management||3|
|PPM 149||Advanced Statistical Methods for Management||2|
|NRE 112||Multivariate Data Analysis||3|
|MPE 124||Advanced Econometrics||4|
|MPE 178||Time Series and Regression Analysis||4|
|MPD 111||Quantitative Analysis for Development Practice||3|
|NRC 142||Spatiotemporal Data Analysis||3|
The Programme fosters knowledge creation by enabling one’s intellectual skills through innovative research work and contribute to the discourse on sustainability issues in business activities. It advances impactful and cutting-edge interdisciplinary research demonstrating with opportunities for broader research excellence framework. The basic objective is to prepare students to play a remarkable role in the world academic circle and to develop significant unique contributions to their selected area of research.
Plot No. 10, Institutional Area, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi - 110 070, India.
Tel. +91 11 71800222 (25 lines).
© Copyright © 2021, TERI SAS, All rights reserved.