Global Sustainable Electricity Partnership(GSEP) Scholarship
In the wake of the Earth Summit in 1992, the CEOs of the world’s largest power companies came together to form the Global Sustainable Electricity Partnership (GSEP) with the vision to set up an international network of expertise to improve cooperation between the major electricity companies in the world and to act as an ecological and technical advisory group for international institutions and governments, especially in developing countries. GSEP was founded as the e7 Network of Expertise for the Global Environment (e7), which later became the e8.
The Education for Sustainable Energy Development (ESED) scholarship program (we call it GSEP Scholarship) inspires the next generation of innovators and thinkers to create a sustainable future. The scholars are exceptional students from developing countries studying in sustainable energy development. This one-of-a-kind scholarship program fosters the next generation of energy, climate, and electricity sector specialists who will be prepared to tackle the challenges of the future.
Brief history and scholarship holders
GSEP has awarded 135 scholarships globally since the inception of the program in 2001. The students and applicants of M.Tech (Renewable Energy Engineering and Management) at TERI School of Advanced Studies has been considered for this scholarship from the academic session 2018-19.
Souryadeep Basak, student of Batch 2019-21 from M.Tech. in Renewable Energy Engineering and Management has been awarded with the Global Sustainable Electricity Programme Education for Sustainable Energy Development Scholarship (GSEP Scholarship) in 2020.
Suraiya Rahman, student of Batch 2018-20 from M.Tech. in Renewable Energy Engineering and Management has been awarded with the Global Sustainable Electricity Programme Education for Sustainable Energy Development Scholarship (GSEP Scholarship) in 2018.
To be eligible for this scholarship, prospective applicants must:
• Undertake master’s-level studies in the fields of zero-carbon energy, smart grids, electric transportation, energy storage, advanced electricity technologies, public policy, economics, law, political science, or other relevant fields.
• Pursue full-time studies for at least one full school year (two or three semesters), beginning in autumn 2020. Students in the second year of a two-year program are eligible to apply, provided that they meet this requirement.
• Be a citizen of a developing country/territory on the List of official development aid recipients identified by the Development Co-operation Directorate (DAC) of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
• Be committed to returning to their home country after their studies to contribute to its development
• Be an outstanding student
a) Graduates with excellent grades in the top 20% of their class b) Is committed to sustainable energy development c) Has a history of community involvement d) Is determined to advance their knowledge and understanding
• To get more details and documents to be submitted visit the link https://www.globalelectricity.org/scholarship/how-to-apply/
Duration and amount of funds available ( per awardee and per year)
Up to $21,000 US per year (max. two years)
An independent Academic Panel consisting of accomplished representatives of notable academic institutions will review the applications and select the winners. The deliberations of the Academic Panel are confidential. All decisions are final and not eligible for appeal.
Last date of application for scholarship is 8th March 2021 (Refer GSEP Website).
A special admission test and interview will be conducted separately on first week of March 2021 for interested candidates who intends to apply for the scholarship. For others, admission process will happen as per normal schedule as updated on TERI SAS website from time to time.
•Last date of M.Tech. application at TERI SAS to be considered: 28th February 2021
•Online test: 4th March 2021 (forenoon)
•Online interview: 4th March 2021 (afternoon)
•Result declaration for this phase: 5th March (tentative)
Scholarship disbursement modality/modalities
• The applicants need to apply directly through GSEP website after collecting all the necessary documents. The steps to be followed are:
a) Fill in and prepare all the required documents
b) Create an account to access the online form
c) Fill in the application form and upload all required documents
d) Submit your application
• All applicants will receive a confirmation email once their application is fully submitted. Once the application period has closed, applicants may verify the status of their application through their student account.
• The GSEP authorities will contact successful applicants directly in May and their names will be posted on their website.