• Department of Natural and Applied Sciences
Area of Expertise
Climate Science and Policy
Climate Resilience and Sustainability
Dr. Anand Madhukar presently works as Assistant Professor at TERI School of Advanced Studies (TERI SAS), New Delhi, India. He also serves as Program Coordinator for M.Sc. (Climate Science and Policy), Member (Board of Studies) for the Department of Natural & Applied Sciences, Coordinator for TERI SAS participation in UNFCCC COP events, Member (Institute Innovation Council/IIC), and Member (Doctoral Programme Executive Committee) at TERI SAS. He has supervised 16 master's theses (including masters students from Central University of Haryana, Mahendragarh, JC Bose University of Science & Technology, YMCA, Faridabad, and TERI School of Advanced Studies, New Delhi) and is guiding doctoral students as part of their Student Research Committee (SRC) or as Supervisor.
Dr. Madhukar's present research aims to generate knowledge and insight on climate change impacts, adaptation, and mitigation for building sustainable norms and climate resilience. His research investigates climate change impacts on different sectors and provides strategies to address them. His research interests include investigations on climate–agriculture interface and crop yield response to climate change, climate change impacts on forestry, climate change risk and vulnerability analysis, decarbonization and energy transition, climate change – air pollution linkages, statistical modelling/AI/ML applications, Indian knowledge system, rural development, and STI interventions to improve rural livelihoods.
Dr. Madhukar is highly passionate about contributing to preparing next-generation innovators and leaders working for the environment and sustainability challenges faced by humanity. He teaches post-graduate master's courses on Basics of Climate Science (including Atmospheric and Ocean Science), Earth System Sciences, Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation, Impacts of Climate Change, Independent Study, Seminar Course in Global Change, and others.
Before joining TERI SAS, Dr. Madhukar worked as Principal Project Scientist on a Department of Science & Technology (DST) funded project "Revisiting Traditional Indian Agricultural Practices against Climate Change Vulnerabilities using Machine Learning Techniques" at the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi.
Dr. Madhukar has a highly interdisciplinary and multi-disciplinary educational background and deep domain expertise reflected by his diverse work exposure, training, and skills. He earned a Ph.D. in Climate Change Impacts & Adaptation from the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi). The topic of his Ph.D. research was "Spatio-Temporal Analysis of Crop Yield Trends and Climate Variability in India". During his Ph.D., he investigated big climate/crop data to understand spatio-temporal patterns in climate trends, crop yields, and the complex relationships between the two. He also investigated adaptation strategies such as irrigation to address the negative climate impact on agriculture. His Ph.D. thesis was recommended for the "Distinction in Doctoral Research" award by the international reviewer.
Anand has M.Tech. in Environmental Engineering and B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering from Aligarh Muslim University. He was associated as Guest Faculty for M.Tech. (Energy & Environmental Engineering) Program with the Centre for Energy Studies at JC Bose University of Science & Technology, YMCA, Faridabad, Haryana and taught two courses on Air Pollution Control Engineering and Fuel Technology. Anand has gained extensive exposure and experience during his diverse stints across academia, research, and fieldwork during social entrepreneurship. Apart from academics, He has 10+ years of field and social entrepreneurship experience in the environment and sustainability domain. During his stint as a Social Entrepreneur, he undertook several field visits in rural areas to understand farmers' problems and explore solutions with a holistic approach. He grew a comprehensive network of rural households and connected them with LPG (cooking gas) supply chain, cooperative societies, and cooperative banks.
Anand comes from a rural background and possesses a deep understanding of the challenges and issues faced by rural habitats. He regularly publishes in scientific journals and writes columns and editorials in newspapers and magazines. He can be reached at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Madhukar A*, Kumar V, Dashora K (2022) Temperature and precipitation are adversely affecting wheat yield in India. Journal of Water & Climate Change. 13(4): 1631–1656. https://doi.org/10.2166/wcc.2022.443
2. Madhukar A*, Kumar V, Dashora K (2022) Spatial analysis of temperature trends during Rabi and Kharif seasons in India. Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12076-022-00304-w
3. Madhukar A*, Dashora K, Kumar V (2021) Spatial Analysis of Yield Trends and Impact of Temperature for Wheat Crop Across Indian Districts. International Journal of Plant Production. 15: 325–335. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42106-021-00140-w
4. Madhukar A*, Dashora K, Kumar V (2021) Climate Trends in Temperature and Water Variables during Wheat Growing Season and Impact on Yield. Environmental Processes. 8: 1047–1072. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40710-021-00526-y
5. Madhukar A*, Dashora K, Kumar V (2021) Investigating historical climatic impacts on wheat yield in India using a statistical modeling approach. Modeling Earth Systems and Environment. 7: 1019–1027. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40808-020-00932-5
6. Madhukar A, Kumar V, Dashora K* (2020) Spatial and Temporal Trends in the Yields of Three Major Crops: Wheat, Rice and Maize in India. International Journal of Plant Production. 14: 187–207. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42106-019-00078-0
7. Gupta D*, Madhukar A, Choudhary V (2013) Effect of functionality of polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane [POSS] on the properties of sulfonated poly (ether ether ketone) [SPEEK] based hybrid nanocomposite proton exchange membranes for fuel cell applications. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 38(29): 12817-12829. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2013.07.070
Research Fellowship (JRF & SRF) to pursue Ph.D. at IIT Delhi.
Research Fellowship (GATE) to pursue M.Tech. at AMU.
Selected Invited Talks & Organized Events:
1. Invited as a valued stakeholder for an Expert Consultation Event on SDG Blueprint for Sustainable Agriculture, organized by Norwegian Embassy, New Delhi and The Energy and Resources Institute, New Delhi at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi on Sept 22, 2023.
2. Invited as a speaker at Youth Climate Conclave (YCC) 2023, organized by the Delegation of the European Union to India, UNICEF, GIZ, TERI, Italian Embassy, and CEEW at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi on Feb 20, 2023.
3. Invited as a panellist for panel discussions at Food Systems Dialogue, organized by Tata-Cornell Institute, Centre for Policy Research, International Food Policy Research Institute, National Foundation for India, ICAR, CEEW, and six other partners at India International Centre, Lodhi Road, New Delhi on November 15-16, 2022.
4. Invited as a speaker at Environment & Sustainability Event, organized by American Chemical Society (ACS) at Indian National Science Academy New Delhi on Nov 8, 2022.
5. Invited as a speaker at Climate Resilient Agriculture Virtual Breakfast Club, organized by MSC (MicroSave Consulting) in New Delhi on Nov 4, 2022.
6. Organized Distinguished Fellows Lecture Series on Climate Change, Environment, and Sustainability at TERI SAS during June-July 2023.
7. Organized American Chemical Society (ACS) Mini-Symposium and Interaction Program at TERI SAS on Oct 20, 2022.
8. Organized the Global Climate Change Week (GCCW) at TERI SAS on Oct 12-18, 2022.